Friday, March 9, 2012

Scrabble Tile Necklace

There's a wealth of crafting ideas out there that use scrabble tiles. I just happen to have an incomplete set of scrabble tiles that came from my husband's house...so I thought I'd give one of those ideas a try.

You will need the following:
Scrabble tiles
pictures, clip art, or scrapbook paper
your favorite paper glue (I used rubber cement but mod podge would work well too)
an emery board or fine sandpaper
Paper Glaze or Dimensional Magic Glue
flat-backed bales (available at most craft stores)
glue for the bales (I used E6000 but super glue would also work well)
cording or a chain for the pendant

Start out by finding some good pictures or art that you want to put onto a pendant. I stole some art off the internet, but a more ethical choice would be to scan in some or your children's artwork or some photos of your family or pet. At any rate, print out whatever you want to put on your pendant. I used Word (the newest version has this handy tool that tells you how large the photos are--it's slick) to print the images out. You could also use pictures or designs from magazines or scrapbook paper.


Cut out your paper and glue it on to the tile using rubber cement or mod podge. Once the paper has dried. Use a piece of fine sandpaper or an emery board to smooth off your edges.

Next, apply a layer of paper glaze or dimensional magic to your scrabble tiles covered in paper. The paper glaze will go on cloudy and turn clear as it dries.

When it's all dry, there will be a clear coat of glue that's almost like a shellac.

Then you can apply the bale with some E6000 or super glue. I used the E 6000 because it allows you to wiggle the bale around and make sure it's on centered. It takes 5-10 minutes to dry, where the super glue would be ready in just a few seconds.

When the glue dried, I strung up my Eiffel Tower pendant with suede cording. You could easily swap out the cording for a chain or ribbon--whatever you have on hand.


The most expensive part of this craft is the bales. I haven't been able to find them for less than about 50 cents a piece. I'll have to use the weekly Michael's coupon on my next bag of bales :). If you know of a good place to get them for less (without buying a ton of them), let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment