Magnetic Pin Dish

As soon as I saw a photo on Pinterest showing a magnetic pin dish made out of a pretty old dish from a thrift store, I knew I wanted to make one. 

From then on, I was on the hunt for the perfect plate or bowl that would work for this project. I had a list of criteria for the dish: it needed to be inexpensive, have a bit of a lip around the edge so that pins couldn't be bumped off the dish, be pretty to look at, and have a little ridge on the bottom so that it would still sit flat after I glued the magnets on.

I finally found this beauty for 79 cents at my local goodwill that met all of the criteria.

I used two neodymium magnet that I picked up at the craft store (ones like these from Michael's) and glued them to the bottom of my dish with E-6000 glue.  After a few minutes of drying, I was able to put a handful of pins in the bowl and turn it over without any falling out.  Of course, your results may vary based on the strength of your magnets and the thickness of your dish, etc....test them out before gluing and you should be good to go.


 The result: a pretty, inexpensive, and very functional pin dish.





Comments

  1. Cool idea! Wouldn't have thought magnets could attract through the dish... neat! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, those neodymium magnets are really awesome. I'm thinking about buying them in bulk for future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought an expensive little mag pin holder, but this is so clever I can think of other things this could be used for...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I should totally make a more masculine version to use when taking apart computers (for all of those tiny little screws).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check the auto department for stainless steel magnetic bowls meant for mechanics to keep track of the small car bits they take off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a clever idea. Don't know if you have a computerized sewing machine, but if the magnets are strong you might want to keep them a bit away from the machine.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never thought about that; I have a basic sewing machine. However, it takes very strong magnets (much stronger than a small fridge magnet--like ones that can pull hundreds of pounds of force) to harm modern computers, but I understand the caution with those fancy machines, if I had one, I wouldn't want to wreck it either. As long as your sewing machine doesn't use a floppy disk or have a specific warning in the manual against them, it's probably ok to use magnetic pin dishes around them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces