From then on, I was on the hunt for the perfect plate or bowl that would work for this project. I had a list of criteria for the dish:
It needed to cost less than a dollar, have a bit of a lip around the edge so that pins couldn't be bumped off the dish, be pretty to look at, and have a little ridge on the bottom so that it would still sit flat after I glued the magnets on.
I finally found this beauty for 79 cents at my local goodwill that met all of the criteria.
I used two neodymium magnet that I picked up at the craft store (ones like these from Michael's) and glued them to the bottom of my dish with E-6000 glue. After a few minutes of drying, I was able to put a handful of pins in the bowl and turn it over without any falling out. Of course, your results may vary based on the strength of your magnets and the thickness of your dish, etc....test them out before gluing and you should be good to go.