Recycle Craft: Crystal Light Container to Magnetic Organizer


This is a very easy project to take something that would have ended up in the recycling bin and create something useful.

You Will Need the Following: 
A piece of scrapbook paper
Glue--I used Mod Podge
A foam brush
Neodymium magnets and glue to attach them


I used my paper cutter to cut a piece of paper that was 5 inches tall.  I then wrapped the strip around my container and marked where it would overlap just a tiny bit and cut the excess off.  I then brushed Mod Podge onto the paper with a foam brush and carefully applied it to the container making sure to line the seam up in the middle of one of the flat sides of the container. I put some extra glue along the seam and let it dry. 


If you want a really secure and water resistant covering, you could take the time to cover the whole container in a couple of layers of Mod Podge after you've applied the paper. I opted not to since this scrapbook paper has a bit of a shimmer to it that would have been dulled by the Mod Podge (and it was faster). After the glue dries, attach your magnets to the back of the container with some E6000 or hot glue.


I tried it with just one magnet, but it slid down the fridge when I put a scissors in the container. Two of these strong neodymium magnets was just right, but your magnets might not be as strong, and you may need more. Now I'll always know where my scissors are! You could decorate the container with trim or glitter or decals, but I wanted to make a basic one to make sure the container would work as a fridge organizer. I always love making something useful out of trash!


2021 Update: This container has been on my fridge storing pens and scissors for nearly a decade. I'm tempted to update it with some new scrapbook paper just for fun, but if it aint broke... :)

Comments

  1. I'm going to give this a try for Christmas gifts for my family. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope yours turn out beautifully. I'm still using mine on my fridge 8 years later.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces