Thrift Store Makeover: Plastic Key Wall Art


I'm proud to share with you my very first thrift store redo. I love going to thrift stores, but I rarely find decor at thrift stores that isn't terribly outdated. I have seen some adorable projects from people taking things they find at thrift stores and painting them or deconstructing them etc...so when I saw these keys, I thought I'd give it a go. 


These light plastic key wall hangings were originally done up in this lovely outdated gold/brass finish (update: gold accessories have come back into fashion...crazy how that works). I thought they looked a little steam punk-like and that they had some potential.  The larger key is about 2 feet wide and cost $1.99 and the smaller one was marked at 99 cents.  With only 3 dollars to lose, I took the gamble. My first thought was to spray paint them. A good coat of black spray paint would hopefully help them blend in with a more modern decor and play down some of the ornate details a bit.  So that's exactly what I did.


I propped them up inside a cardboard box and took them out onto the deck and sprayed the crap out of them with a can of glossy black spray paint. It took several trips to the deck of spraying and turning and letting them dry, but when they were all finished, they turned out much better looking than the original...and darn cute for $2.98 plus spray paint.


(Update: I still have these hanging on my wall. They've held up very well over the years!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces