Wednesday, July 17, 2013

As Seen on Pinterest: Vinegar and Listerine Foot Soak


I am one of those people who stops wearing socks as soon as it hits 65 degrees out.  I'm a sandals and barefoot kind of girl.  Which means that I was really excited about the prospect of a foot soak that would allow you to rub loose skin right off of your feet and leave them smooth!  The original instructions call for 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/2 cup listerine and 1/4 cup water.  Now, I know that I have big feet, but I can't see how this would possibly be enough for anyone to soak their feet in for 30 minutes.  I doubled the batch.  It still wasn't enough.  I ended up with 1 1/2 cups listerine (thank goodness I had the cheap generic stuff) and 1 1/2 cups vinegar and 3/4 cup water.

I then soaked my feet for the full 30 minutes.  After which, they were blue.


Alright so that's not that surprising--it is, afterall, blue listerine that I was using.  So I rubbed the solution off with a towel (this is when the dead skin is supposed to just rub right off--it didn't).  Then I hustled my blue feet up to the bath tub and sprayed them off, and then scrubbed them with a nylon Ikea dish brush (yeah, not a soft brush).  The blue eventually came off, but the skin was still rough and attached to my feet.  I'd dare say it looked worse afterwards (I did take a before and after photo--but I decided no one wanted to see my rough feet and then my rough prune-y feet).

I gave this one the best possible shot....I used more listerine and vinegar (without ruining the ratio) and I actually scrubbed my feet off afterwards with a brush--and still no loose skin.  I had better luck with a Ped Egg (remember those--they actually sorta work).  I know everyone's skin is a bit different, and this might work for some folks, but I do not recommend this Pinterest DIY.

Update: A friend said she had some success with this.  She used the Alcohol Free Listerine (but the name brand kind) and followed up with a pumice stone. 

Based on other comments I've received on this post's Pinterest pin, I suspect how well this works is based an awful lot on how tough the skin is on your feet.  I have very thick foot skin.  I also wonder, aside from the disinfectant properties and the minty smell, how much the Listerine is really doing.  Has anyone tried a warm water and vinegar foot bath?

6 comments:

  1. I did this, but I used two cups Apple cider vinegar two cups Listerine the blue one off brand and four cups water it was kinda warm but meh lol I soaked my feet for a while while browsing pinterest then I used a pumice stone and rubbed off the gross skin then I soaked them again and rubbed even more off and one last time just for good measure. My running method may be what worked because the stone did awesome, but I rubbed until my foot was dry and crazy skin started rubbing off then I rubbed with that gross skin with my dry bare hands the crazy skin beads sorta worked like a scrub I did this each time after using the pumice stone. Then my feet were awesome, but I took it a bit farther and made a foot scrub with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil and 2tbs raw honey. That was also a pinterest find and it turned out too gooey, so I think it's supposed to be 3 tsp oil and 2tsp honey, but whatever it felt really good, now I have foot lotion on them in a pair of socks. They feel amazingly refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try changing your recipe 2 parts water and 1 prat listerine and vinegar. It actually works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or just buy a batch of Baby Foot. I do a treatment spring and fall and it's very dramatic how much skin comes off. :) Takes a while, though. Just about the time you forget you've done it, the bottoms of your feet fall off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up Baby Foot and it sounds amazing...and a little scary! :)

      Delete
    2. I looked up Baby Foot and it sounds amazing...and a little scary! :)

      Delete