Quick Craft: Washi Tape Tea Lights


This is one of those crafts that when you see it, you think, "Well, why the heck didn't I think of that?"  It's super simple and super cute.  All you need is a roll of washi tape and some tea lights.  Washi tape seems to be all the rage in crafting these days.  It's basically designer masking tape.  Washi is the name for a decorative paper in Japanese.  This washi, or decorated paper tape, can be used for all kinds of crafting.  Because it is so popular, it's been a bit spendy.  But more and more American companies are making their own versions of this type of tape.  I was lucky enough to pick up a few rolls at Big Lots (3 rolls for $3).  So now I've been looking for fun things to do with it.  These decorated tea lights were the perfect project.

I bought a bag of bulk tea lights a while back, and I seem to have two different sizes.  One is a little narrower/shorter, and one is almost exactly the same width as the tape.  The black and white stripe version is narrower than the tape.  I simply aligned the top edge of the tape and the top edge of the metal candle casing and folded any excess under the bottom edge.


My other tea lights were almost the perfect size.  I wrapped this bright green tape around the larger tea lights.


I then used them as a pop of color in my glass star tea light holders.  In holders like this--you don't see the tape so much as the color--but they are still a fun change of pace from the plain silver variety.


Next I tried out this black and white floral pattern tape on the larger tea light--it worked perfect and I knew I wanted to showcase the pattern.


So I dug out a plain votive holder to jazz up.


These are so much fun, I can't wait to find more washi tape to try out.  Of course, I don't know how heat resistant this tape is--so as with all candle projects--keep an eye on them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces