As Seen on Pinterest: Baking Soda Oven Cleaner


All over pinterest there are DIY recipes for cleaners made from inexpensive household products.  Baking Soda is one of the most popular ingredients (that and vinegar). I have seen a couple of recipes for oven cleaner made with baking soda, but recently I saw one that called for just baking soda and water  That's it. Nothing else. I figured it couldn't possibly work, but since it was so easy, I had to give it a whirl.


This cleaner is billed as being able to clean your oven door and window to a clear shine.  All you need to do is cover the door in baking soda and water paste, let it sit for 30 minutes, and wipe it off.


So I sprinkled baking soda all over the door and then I tried to use a wet dish brush to make the paste (so as to get a little scrubbing in even though the instructions didn't call for it), but there wasn't enough water on the brush to work.  So I got a paper towel wet and squeezed it out onto the baking soda a couple of times and then used my hand to smoosh the paste around the door so that it covered all over.  As I did this, the baking soda started turning from white to off white, so it was cleaning up the grime (not that surprising since I didn't even wipe the door off with a damp cloth before hand).


Then I let it sit. I left it for about 45 minutes (for good measure).  It was still mostly wet but had set up just a bit.  I wiped as much of it off of the door with a dry paper towel as possible.  It took several trips to the trash can before it was sort of cleared off.  Then I had to go in and scrub off the remnants and the streaks of white with a damp paper towel, then again with a wet wash cloth after nearly all of the baking soda was removed.


As you can see, it definitely cleaned my oven door.  It's a heck of a lot cleaner than it was before.  But what you can't see in the photo is that the oven window (and a few places on the door) are still dingy and discolored.  

I am giving this a "sort of works" verdict for two reasons.  It was nowhere near as easy as the instructions made it out to be.  There was a lot of clean up and wiping off and scrubbing involved. And because the door didn't come miraculously clean. 

However, if you are looking for a less caustic way to take a layer off of your oven door, this could be a good option. There are also some recipes floating around combining baking soda, vinegar, and dish soap that I may try after my oven door gets good and dirty once again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces