Craft Popsicle Stick Snowflake Door Decoration


My mom gave me a giant box of craft sticks (aka popsicle sticks) this summer and I've been trying to figure out what to do with them.  I stumbled across a project to make snowflakes with them and knew I had to give it a try.

You'll need:
A glue gun
craft sticks (42 to make this design)
paint of your choice
a flat area covered in parchment or newspaper to work on


After deciding which design I was going to use, I laid it out on the table to get an idea of how big it was going to be and make sure I knew what I was doing. I stopped short of the whole design once I knew I had the general gist and started gluing.


This design starts with a six pointed star. The hardest part of this project was making sure the star was even.  I worried about the flake laying flat since I had all six craft sticks stacked on top of each other in the center, but it worked fine. You could also cut out some cardboard circles or something like that to glue your sticks to so that it lays perfectly flat if you'd like, but it worked out just fine to glue the sticks to each other.


I hot glued each joint and adjusted to make sure it wasn't crooked while the glue was warm and drying.  You could probably use other glue for this project, but hot glue dries quick, but not so quick that you can't adjust, and works really well with wood. Once the flake was all done, I decided it needed to be jazzed up a bit from the unfinished wood tone.


You could decorate the flake however you'd like, but since I have a black door, I opted for classic white.  I squirted some white craft paint into a plastic bowl and added a little water to thin it down so it would go on quickly and easily make it into all the nooks and crannies.


I painted both sides, just in case. Then I hung it on the door.  I thought about using a bow to attach it to my wreath hook, but ended up just hanging it up without the bow. The great thing about this decoration (aside from being inexpensive and easy) is that I can leave it up through January! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces