Thursday, August 20, 2015

Refinish Costume Jewelry with Alcohol Ink


After dividing up my grandmother's jewelry, there were several pins and broaches that no one claimed.  This one was left over, and I thought it was kind of cute, but it had a dark spot on the leaf. I figured I could fix it or color over it, so I snagged it and gave it a new home.



I rolled out my craft mat and dug out my alcohol inks. I figured I'd try covering the spot with gold alcohol ink and if that didn't work, I could cover the leaf with a color and no one would notice the dark spot. I dotted some gold ink onto the leaf and smoothed it out as best as I could with a makeup sponge. I noticed that it made the gold finish a little duller/less shiny. So I covered the whole leaf with a thin layer of the gold alcohol ink (a few drops worth) for a uniform look.


I let it dry and the dark spot is completely gone. If you're around a lot of alcohol based liquids, you may want to seal the jewelry with a clear acrylic sealer (or something similar). I left it unsealed and will just have to remember not to put it on until after I have used any hairspray or perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment