French's Fried Onion Container Lives Again as a Holiday Gift Container


If you follow the blog, you know that this isn't my first (or second or even third) time covering a French's Fried Onion Container with mod podge and tissue paper, but I had an empty container and it was just begging to be covered, so here it goes. This time, I found some adorable holiday tissue paper that I had floating around in my stash and created a cute holiday gift container. Wouldn't this work out perfectly for gifting some treats to a co-worker or neighbor? Be sure to run it through the dishwasher so that your cookies don't end up tasting like onions and you'll be good to go.


To make this gift/storage container, you'll need an empty French's Fried Onion container (snip off the plastic shrink wrap label and wash it out), some cute patterned tissue paper, a jar of glossy mod podge, a foam brush, and a scissors (and a paper plate or wax paper to set gluey brushes or the drying container on would be a good idea too).


Cut your tissue paper into a rectangle that will cover the container with a small bit of overlap on the ends. If you are using particularly thin tissue paper, you may want to cut a second rectangle and put on two layers. This tissue paper was fairly sturdy, and I've done this a few times, so I went with one layer.


Glue your tissue paper onto the container. I like to start my seam on the side and paint a section of the container with mod podge at a time. I line my top edge up as straight as possible and leave just a smidge to hang over the bottom edge. After you've glued on the paper, let it set long enough that you won't tear the paper by handling it or applying glue. If the paper is thin, let it dry all the way (30 minutes to an hour). I let this paper just sit for a few minutes before moving on. Also, make sure your fingers aren't covered in glue before this next step, if they are, you'll probably snag the paper and tear it.


So after washing and drying my hands and letting the glue set for a few minutes, I spread a nice thin layer of mod podge over the top of the paper to create a sealed and covered container.


This striped reindeer pattern is adorable, and the container serves as a nice first holiday craft of the season. I can't wait to fill it with Christmas goodies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces