Alcohol Ink Button Necklaces


In last week's post, I made some button pendants with some old mother of pearl buttons. While I was going through my stash of buttons, I found several mother of pearl wannabee buttons made with shiny plastic. And of course the first thought from someone who is addicted to alcohol ink: "I could ink that!"


I picked out some plastic buttons and drug out my craft mat and alcohol inks. I found out quickly that the flatter buttons worked the best, but that one with a recessed area for the buttonholes actually looked kind of neat in contrast. So you can probably make most buttons work. I also have a layer of craft foam between the wood and my felt on my homemade applicator, so I could press down firmly to get into some of the nooks and crannies.


I started out thinking I'd dye the buttons one color, or with a few related colors, but after my first pass with the applicator, I knew I wanted to add more colors. I dabbed ink on until I liked the way they looked.


Then I went and sprayed them with some glossy clear sealer to keep the ink from smearing or scratching off.


Then I turned them into some necklaces. I looped a couple of them through some beading cord to make single necklaces, and I tied knots in the cord to make a necklace with three buttons that had similar coloring.


My last remaining button I wrapped in wire like my project from last week. So get crafting with those old buttons--you've got lots of options.


Comments

  1. Can I use noire pens to color mother of pearl or glass buttons? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used noir pens, but if they are alcohol based, they should work.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces