Monday, March 7, 2016

Alcohol Ink Backed in Spray Paint Glass Gems


Ok, so I know I've done the alcohol ink glass gem thing a couple of times, but I got this idea in my head that it would turn out even cooler if I was able to cover the ink with something so that it was less transparent. I tried aluminum foil; it sort of worked. Then I had a stroke of genius...why not spray paint them. I figured white would be the biggest contrast, so that was the winner for this first attempt.


I dug out my glass gems (time to head to the dollar store, my stash is getting low--only had ones with weird shapes and flaws left) and my alcohol inks. I set up my mat and my applicator with felt.


Then I stamped them like crazy. I was reminded how the darker colors work a ton better on this project. I'd recommend using the Earth Tone Ranger inks on this project, but since they are being spray painted, I tried all kinds of different colors. I always gravitated back to the darker ones.


I even tried splattering one (bottom left), but I ended up going back over several of these gems with even more ink the next day.


After they were dry from my second round of inking, I sprayed them all with a thin coat of clear acrylic sealer (not pictured) so that I wouldn't have to worry about any possible bleeding with the white spray paint. I let the sealer dry and then taped them with some painter's tape so the tops of the gems wouldn't get any spray paint on them. This could have been done before the clear sealer, but doesn't need to be.


I sprayed them with white spray paint and let them dry overnight. When I came back to them, the inks were bleeding through the white on the backs. So I knew they needed another coat, I figured silver would look better on jewelry than white, so I sprayed my second coat in silver (not pictured).


Then I glued some bales onto the backs to make my necklaces. I usually use E6000 to glue on bales, but mine went missing, so I used superglue. It worked, but I nearly glued my fingers together several times.


I glued some strong little magnets onto the backs of the leftover gems and turned them into magnets.


Now the color on the gems pops regardless of what surface you put it on (or what clothes you wear it with). If you've ever tried anything similar--let me know in the comments. Should I try black or silver next?


2 comments:

  1. I hate to give up a trade secret but the foil tape works awesome for this kind of project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic idea! I'll have to try that next. :)

      Delete