After last week's second experiment applying alcohol ink with plastic wrap, I was eager for more unusual application methods. I found a couple of white ceramic tiles and figured they were the perfect medium for trying something different, so I grabbed some wax paper. I figured the effect would be fairly similar to the plastic wrap.
I rolled out my craft mat and brought out my alcohol inks. I wiped off the ceramic tile with a paper towel wetted with some rubbing alcohol and let it dry.
To get the tile covered in ink, I started by squeezing some ink onto the tile.
Then placed the wax paper onto the tile and lifted it up. It created a wet mix of colors.
I layered some additional colors on and applied the paper repeatedly. I would place it on the tile, wipe my fingers over it and then lift it up. I would reposition the paper to move any ink that was still on the wax paper to a different part of the tile. As I continued to apply the paper, it started to dry out and soak into the wax paper (it even bled through the paper).
As it dried out, it created an interesting stamped texture. I really liked the texture, but I wasn't real happy about the colors all muting together, so I kept adding bolder colors to try to create more interest. I would sometimes apply ink to the wax paper and fold it over (like a Rorschach ink blot) before applying it to the tile.
On my second tile, I tried crumpling the paper with ink on it.
This application method created even more texture. I tried without much luck to try to apply color in in a controlled fashion to create patterns, etc.. but had very little luck. Random seemed the mode of the day.
If you didn't believe me about the ink soaking through the wax paper--here's the proof. So if getting ink on your hands is not your idea of a good time, you might want to wear gloves with this method. I usually don't get quite this much ink on hands. I was able to get most of it off with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol. Hand sanitizer also helps. If you can get most of it off, the rest will fade in a day or two with normal hand washing.
I had some success adding contrast with some yellow and red ink and really enjoyed this new method.