Alcohol Ink Mason Jar


I had a quart sized mason jar lying around and I figured, hey, I haven't inked a mason jar yet
(unless you count the slightly ill-fated attempt with food coloring and mod podge)...and that's good enough reason for me to give it a whirl.


I grabbed my craft mat, some alcohol inks, and a can of air to start off the project.


I chose mostly blue-green inks to cover the majority of the jar. I have quite a few shades of teal and aqua so I knew I could get some variation without having the colors mix and turn brown. I started out by just squeezing a fair bit of ink into the jar and then blowing the canned air on it to get it to spread and dry more quickly.


I kept adding different shades of green and blue and spraying them with the canned air until the jar was mostly covered. Then I flipped it over to make sure that the ink wasn't settling at the bottom and left it for a few minutes.


I opted for my accent color to be a purple-y shade of pink. The magenta would be bright enough to be a contrast, but would hopefully be purple enough that it wouldn't turn brown when mixed with the green ink. I lucked out and picked correctly. The pink stayed pink in some areas and turned more purple in others as it mixed with the green ink. I dripped the magenta into the jar in a few places and sprayed the air on it to get it to spread.


After I was satisfied with the coverage, I flipped it over again for a few minutes to make sure the ink wasn't pooling at the bottom and it was done. It turned out really pretty and looks great sitting on my window sill in the kitchen with the light shining through it.


Comments

  1. This is amazing...did you use any ink inside of the jar or just the outside of jar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally, stuff/crafts I make need to earn their place not just for aesthetics. So, I'd love to know why this wasn't applied to the outside of the jar, Cuz, I'd still like to put the rice, beans etc in my jars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mainly because I didn't want to have to seal it. :) I don't have a good food safe sealant that I like.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces