Mod Podge and Tissue Paper Tin Can



Well, hubby finished off another giant tin of peanuts, and I couldn't very well just throw it in the recycling (any one else suffer from this problem?). The last peanut tin I spray painted. This one I decided I would opt for some classic tissue paper and mod podge. I've used tissue paper and mod podge on glass and plastic in the past, but never on a tin can, but it's the perfect choice for covering things that have curves....the ridges on these cans mean tons of curves.


I picked out a tissue paper that had all over color on it because they are a little sturdier to work with and because the can is darker in color and I didn't know how much would show through when the paper was wetted with the glue.


I measured the paper against the can and folded the paper over. I find this to be the easiest way to get a fairly straight cut with a scissors. I just slid my scissors along the fold to cut my piece of tissue paper out. Using a rotary cutter and a big ruler works even better on tissue paper.


After I cut my piece the length of the sheet of tissue paper, I wrapped it around the can and cut it so there would be about an inch of overlap (to cover the little bits of glue that the original label was stuck on with--from the spray painted can I knew that the glue was very hard to remove).


Then it was pretty simple. I painted on some glue and lined the top (straightest) edge along the rim of the an and let any excess hang off of the bottom. If you're too lazy to measure and cut very carefully, this is the easiest way to make the finished product look neat without all of the edges being exactly perfect.


I smoothed the paper on and continued around the can until it was all glued on. Be careful not to rub the paper with wet or glue covered fingers as the paper will tear. If it tears, you can apply a second layer of paper or a small patch before you apply the sealing coat of glue.


Afte the paper was glued on, I trimmed the paper hanging over the bottom so it was all about the same length. Then I carefully painted glue along the bottom edge.


Then I used my fingers to fold the paper over the edge and smooth it down. Suddenly it all looks neat and tidy again.


Then wait a few minutes for the glue to set up a bit so the paper isn't as likely to tear before painting on a thin sealing coat of the mod podge. Once that's dry, you're all done.


Now I have a nice bright can with a lid. Perfect for storing craft supplies or any small collection of stuff (toys, cards, game pieces, crayons, sharpies, you name it).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plastic Wrap Alcohol Ink on Small Ceramic Bowl

Splatter Resist Alcohol Ink Tile

Alcohol Ink Washer Necklaces